Our region is growing, and we would love for you to be a part of it. In Africa, we partner with governments and social impact organizations to transform how they work for their citizens' benefit. We work across a wide range of policy areas, including health, education, social services, economic development, and environmental impact. Over the next few years, we are looking to grow further, and we need support to shore up our internal project management, operations, and knowledge capture processes.
About the role
We are looking for an Operations Lead to be our details and process person. You will work across client-facing projects and our internal Africa functions, with a particular focus on supporting our internal processes, routines, and project management functions, as well as improving organizational knowledge capture. The Operations Lead is expected to produce a streamlined day-to-day operation focused on excellence and service. The person will support the regional leadership team and work with counterparts and functions from other regions.
- Liaise with DA’s People Operations, Recruitment, and L&D functions to ensure a full understanding of People-related processes. Assist with the administrative process and onboarding of new hires.
- In conjunction with the Associate Directors, oversee regional staffing and ensure adequate staffing is maintained.
- Serve as the contact person for current and new employees within the Africa region regarding administrative and HR-related questions.
- Develop and maintain fit-for-purpose project management tools for use with external clients and internal project teams, with a view to broader DA application
- Work with project teams to generate and maintain statements of work for each project, including timelines, resource allocations, and budgets.
- Track expenses, invoices, and allocations with our finance team
- Facilitate communication between DA and external clients or other internal departments to instill and enforce processes, workflows, and tools
- Perform necessary due diligence, planning, implementation, and stabilization of internal processes
- Continuously innovate support models and tools to enhance efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensure policy changes and business processes are updated regularly and adhered to by all team members
- Maintain and build our DA-wide knowledge base by leading regional knowledge capture efforts and working with the global Knowledge Management team on their “no knowledge lost” priority.
- Work with the Africa region leadership team in driving and participating in various initiatives.
- Coordinate and plan internal events and training
- Provide occasional support as executive assistant to senior staff for time-intensive activities
- At least 3-4 years of experience in project and operations management or a similar field.
- Ability to convey complex ideas effectively, both in written and verbal in English. Knowledge of the French language is a plus.
- Exceptional problem-solving and judgment skills, along with a demonstrated capacity for continuous improvement
- Ability to effectively multi-task, make tradeoffs, take initiatives, and prioritize within a fast-paced, demanding environment across multiple zones
- Collaborative, proactive, resourceful, and a self-starter who takes the initiative and ownership in a remote setting without regular supervision
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and remote conference tools (e.g., Zoom and Teams)
- Knowledge of employment law within the African context is ideal
- Bachelor's education or above