As a Project Leader, you’ll lead internal and external teams towards more effective public sector work – and greater impact for everyday people. DA PLs are senior professional services managers, simultaneously leading multiple projects or major workstreams, responsible for shaping the work we do and end-to-end management and training of the DA teams that deliver impact. PLs are responsible for maintaining and growing senior relationships (within client governments, with our philanthropic and public sector partners), while leading and coaching teams of experienced Delivery Leaders (most PLs have at least 5-8 years relevant experience and a master’s degree).
DA has a growing portfolio of work within North America supporting governments at every level deliver on their biggest challenges. At DA you could lead teams that focus on:
- Innovation: help governments take new moonshot ideas and turn them into impact that can directly be seen by residents. For example, our teams are currently helping cities in the United States and Latin America and we are gearing up to help the finalist cities of the bigger-than-ever Global Mayors Challenge in 2022.
- Climate and equity: partner with the biggest environmental nonprofits (like NRDC, RMI, and WRI) to assist communities across the US move the needle on climate while making society more equitable too. For example, DA was a lead partner in the American Cities Climate Challenge, helping government and philanthropy leaders craft the next big thing in addressing the twin crises of climate and inequity.
- Smart Data: bring government leaders the information and tools they need to make effective decisions, measuring and evaluating the impact of new and ongoing programs. For example, we have helped cities across the US and the world embrace the growing power of data via the What Works Cities certification and technical assistance program. Plus, you will have access to DA Digital’s powerful suite of services and tools!
- Center of government led reform and performance management: support top leaders of municipal, regional or national governments across North America to establish and build capacity of central delivery teams that oversee performance management and drive implementation efforts through better prioritization, target-setting, planning, data-driven routines and problem-solving across sectors that include education, healthcare, infrastructure, emergency response, safety & security and economic development, among others.
DA works closely with governments in these areas and others, all over the world, to implement policy in a way that translates to real outcomes for everyday people. We do the same for foundations and social impact organizations, helping turn innovative programs into lasting impact. In short, we help public sector partners get things done. Project leaders run major client projects, managing internal and external teams towards priority outcomes through a blend of our internal framework and their own impeccable judgement.
DA Project Leaders (PLs) are the day-to-day senior leads for multiple projects with high profile clients, responsible for the design and implementation of major government reform efforts, and national or international philanthropy-support technical assistance programs. They should already have experience managing teams and clients in a fast-paced professional service context, proactively preparing for and responding to changing client needs and building the deliverology, consulting, technical, and topical skills of diverse teams of experience delivery leaders.
Our PLs can:
- Build relationships: Earn trust and influence among senior level stakeholders, including Mayors, heads of state, ministry leaders, and senior program officers. PLs know when to bend and when to push back, leading clients towards better outcomes.
- Manage project teams: Mentor and manage internal project teams, as well as manage up to senior leadership at DA. Work autonomously while staying connected to the whole.
- Facilitate and coach: Run effective meetings and workshops that drive towards problem solving and consensus, while building capacity for internal and external teams.
- Communicate clearly: Turn complex problems or insights into clear memos and well-structured slides, sometimes on a tight timeline.
- Develop and manage workplans: Bring clear structure and prioritization frameworks to large-scale projects and individual team members.
- Solve problems: Break down problems across a wide range of areas, identifying root causes before developing hypotheses and solutions.
- Lead with focus and empathy: Give skillful and effective feedback that helps people master our IP, sharpen their acumen, and grow in their careers.
- Contribute to building DA internally: Engage in processes that support the DA’s growth, including hiring, business development, finance, operations, and other functions.
We work well with people are:
- Adaptable: Public sector work is dynamic. Our people are, too.
- Analytical: We identify, dissect, and solve complex problems.
- Accountable: We are a remote team. We work collaboratively but self-sufficiently; oversight is often minimal.
- Driven: Our work is important, so it’s important we do it well.
- Curious: We never stop learning from our clients, colleagues, and partners.
- Compassionate: We care for our colleagues and the people we serve.
Many of our people have backgrounds in management consulting, public sector implementation, government, philanthropy, think tanks / policy research, and international development. Some come from startups and tech. All our Project Leaders have experience leading (most Delivery Leaders have at least 5-8 years relevant experience and a masters degree). Most have some experience with our major verticals: education, public health, sustainability, economic development, agriculture. Many of our most successful PLs have multiple years’ experience as managers at consulting or other professional services firms
These are the basics.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree desirable
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant, full time work experience in consulting, other professional services, or as a senior manager in government delivery
- Proven track record leading / managing a team of Delivery Leader-level contributors in a professional services project context (most PLs have at least 5-8 years relevant experience and a master’s degree).
- Must have business-level proficiency in English
- Must be based in and have work authorization in the United States
- Willingness to eventually travel 25-50% on average
What We Offer:
- Exposure to senior leaders in government, NGOs and other social impact organizations
- Opportunity to be part of a growing team working on transformative projects in all continents
- Opportunity to shape the future trajectory of a fast-growing firm and grow with it